Years 1912 - 1922
  • Register

 

Loren H. Green - 1919-1920

Loren H. Green, the club's seventh president, served in that of¬fice in the July 1, 1919 to June 30, 1920 year. He was born in Cairo, Illinois, in September, 1872. His boyhood days were spent in Ocala, Florida and he attended the Gainesville Military School. He later studied law at the University of Virginia. He moved to Jacksonville and en¬tered the real estate business. His career in this and the fire and cas¬ualty insurance field lasted for forty-five years. His company was the Loren H. Green Company. Loren H. Green died January 26, 1946 at the home of his brother-in-law, Charles J. Williams, in Jacksonville. His funeral was officiated by Dr. Albert A. Holt of the First Presbyterian Church. Williams was also a member of the Ro¬tary Club from March 1913 until his death on January 2, 1956.
The philanthropic work of the club had caused a deficit in its treasury, taking into account several unpaid bills. The Board of Directors met on August 15, 1919, at the Florida National Bank, took note of its list of un¬paid obligations and authorized President Green and Treasurer Howard to borrow three hundred dollars with which to meet these debts. Captain Pot¬ter, reported for the club's Philanthropic Committee, that owing to the finan¬cial assistance already given, the Rotary Club could undertake no more campaigns for the time being. Needless to say, this report was favorably received by the Board.
At the luncheon meeting on September 9, 1919, there were sixty-five members present, with thirty-five reported absent from the city. At this meet¬ing the Club adopted a resolution condemning the lynching of two negroes in Duval County.
Fred W. King died in September, 1919, the only member of the club to die during the 1919-1920 year.
President Loren H. Green and Secretary Robertson T. Arnold attended the District Conference in Macon, Georgia in September 1919.
A notice by the secretary was sent to the members, on October 1, 1919, regarding the increasing of the club dues from twenty dollars per year, not including the price of the luncheons, to seventy-five dollars, to include forty-five luncheons and two ladies night tickets. Favorable action was taken on this change, by the membership on October 14, 1919. The Board of Direc¬tors authorized the renting of an office and the employment of a full time assistant secretary. At the Directors' meeting on December 1, 1919, action was taken to give credit from dues for attendance at another Rotary club.
Miss Sarah Lyon, celebrated Y.M.C.A. worker, was invited to address the club on December 9, 1919. On December 17, 1919, the Board author¬ized the sum of $150.00 for the purchase of shoes for poor children, at Christmas, the money to be turned over to Rotarian Marcus C. Fagg, for the purpose. The Board of Directors, on January 9, 1920, authorized the pay¬ment of a bill of $119.18 for a Rotary-Kiwanis barbecue. At that time, the club had 119 members.
Captain A. B. Potter was appointed by the Directors on September 26, 1919, chairman of the "On to Atlantic City" Committee, for the next Inter¬national Convention. On October 24, 1919, the Board of Directors granted a leave of absence for six months to Roy A. Benjamin, architect, to super¬intend work in Texas.
The February 3, 1920 meeting was designated "Good Roads Day” and Frank O. Miller, Sr. addressed the club on the subject of roads. All dur¬ing this Rotary year, except for special meetings, the club luncheons were held at the Mason Hotel. The Rotary Bulletin, issued each week, carried paid advertisements of: Arnold Printing Company, The Florida National Bank, Gilbreath and Sharkey's Restaurant, Florida Talking Machine Com¬pany (W. M. Dunham and Walter M. Edwards, Rotarians), Greenleaf & Crosby Jewelers, Ellis Crenshaw's Crackers, Standard Clothing Company (Henry L. Covington, Rotarian), Joseph H. Walsh Co. (Tires), F. O. Miller Piano Company, Gonzales and Sanchez Co.'s Havana Cigars (George Hardee, Rotarian), Clifford A. Payne Insurance, Jacksonville Gas Company (Harry Hoyt, Rotarian), The Harkisheimer Co. Groceries (Ernest L. Vodermark, Rotarian), W. D. Jones, Druggist, Maxwell House Coffee (Leon T. Cheek, Rotarian), Republic Theater (William L. Whitehead, Rotarian), John A. Hall, Certified Public Accountant, Harry W. Hebb Supply Co.
Walter P. Corbett, F. O. Miller and Assistant Secretary Harry Whittier attended the newly formed St. Augustine Rotary Club on Wednesday, Jan¬uary 28, 1920. The District Conference was held in Tampa, Florida on March 18 and 19, 1920. A number of Jacksonville Rotarians attended and several went in a party by special Pullman cars, the train leaving Jackson¬ville at 1:00 o'clock P.M. and arriving in Tampa at 7:00 P.M. The dele¬gation took with it Captain Berry and his brass band. Many Rotarians will remember Captain Berry, a bandleader in Jacksonville for many years. According to the accounts in the Rotary Bulletin, the trip was an event to be remembered by the large number of Rotarians who went to the conference.
The club meeting on Tuesday, February 17, 1920 was held with the boys of the Boys' Home at the Old County Armory at Forsyth and Market Streets. The club met with the St. Augustine Rotary Club, in St. Augustine, on April 10, 1920, at 3:00 o'clock P.M. and stayed for a Rotary dinner in the evening. The Jacksonville club held a Ladies' Night Party at the Flor¬ida Country Club, Tuesday evening, May 4, 1920. The Rotarians were re¬quested to wear dark coats, white trousers and white shoes. There were dancing and souvenirs.
Members of the Jacksonville club were invited to attend the organiza¬tional meeting of the Orlando club on May 12, 1920.
Among the new members to come into the club during the 1919-1920 year, were the following:
George H. Baldwin Edward R. Hoyt
H. B. Bailey James L. Irwin
Clement D. Gates J. H. Keen
Waldo E. Cummer Joseph F. Marron
Dr. Paul Davis Ambrose C. Martin
Howard W. Dexter George Z. Phillips
Walter M. Edwards Fulton Saussy
Claude D. Fish Wayne Thomas
Fons A. Hathaway W. E. Williams, Jr.

The only member lost by death during the year was Fred W. King.
The annual election of officers and directors was held on May 11, 1920. Frank C. Groover, affectionately referred to as "Pa" Groover, was elected president. Robertson T. Arnold, who had served for seven years as secre¬tary, was elevated to the vice presidency of the club. At the Directors' meeting on May 14, 1920, William Edwin Arnold (Ted), Bert's brother, was elected secretary, and Myron L. Howard was reelected treasurer. Dr. William E. Ross was made the new sergeant-at-arms.
Elected as directors were: George B. Hill, Walter P. Corbett, John H. McKinnon and Bill Logan. Carryovers on the board were: W. Ansel Elliott, Francis P. Flemming, Morgan Gress, Clifford A. Payne and Joseph H. Walsh. These nine and the officers comprised the board. The club office was located at No. 429A, St. James Building.
The delegates to the International Convention at Atlantic City, N. J., were: F. C. Groover, Dick Lowry and R. T. Arnold. A group of Jackson¬ville Rotarians met the Cuban delegates when they passed through the city on June 16, 1920, en route to the International Convention in Atlantic City. The Jacksonville delegates also met with about twelve delegates to the con¬vention who had come from other Florida clubs, by train to Jacksonville and then by Clyde Line Steamer from Jacksonville to Atlantic City.
On June 24, 1920 the Rotary Club held a picnic at Pablo Beach. The Rotary Bulletin says between 115 and 125 Rotarians and friends attended the picnic and were caught in a downpour of rain. Prizes were awarded for many things and a good time provided by Joseph H. Walsh and his Picnic Committee. On July 13, 1920, Clifford Payne, A. B. Potter and William Whitehead reported to the club on their trip to the Atlantic City Conven¬tion.